The Village Salad
This Greek classic is a study in balance: sweetness from ripe tomatoes, freshness and crunch from cucumber, acid from Kalamata olives and briny Arahova feta. Simply finished with a high quality, PDO-level olive oil (we love olive oils from Crete and Kalamata in particular), it's an ode to summer and the perfect way to start a meal.
- 2 Tomatoes, Quartered we prefer Lucky's heirlooms - never refrigerate
- 1 Cucumber
- Quarter Red Onion, Sliced
- Handful Kalamata Olives or Castlevetrano if you're team green
- Two Thick Slices Arahova Feta this is a barrel-aged, PDO feta aged for 90 days - find at Titan foods in Astoria
- Pinch Dried Oregano use fresh for a more intense herbal flavor
- Pinch Maldon Salt
- 3 Tablespoons Olive Oil we love kritiko, ilada or spitiko
- Pinch Smoked Paprika
- Partially peel cucumber in stripes. Cut off ends, cut in half, and scoop out seeds. Chop hollowed out cucumber halves into roughly 1-inch pieces.
- Toss Tomato, Cucumber, Onion, Olives, Oregano and Olive Oil in a bowl
- Carefully plate salads, adding a small pinch of Maldon salt to tomatoes
- Top each salad with a thick slice of Feta, sprinkling Paprika on Feta
- Eat with a knife and fork; pair with a glass of Santorini Assyrtiko